Friday, January 4, 2013

Kids Flip Charts for Morning and Night Routines

Do any other mom's of little ones get tired of saying "did you brush your teeth?, please go put on your pajamas, did you go potty?, your wet towel is still laying in the middle of the floor or please pick up your clothes and put them away" about a thousand times each morning and night?  I was really growing weary of it.  And I was dreading bedtime each night because it was so chaotic and frankly not very fun for me or the kids.  Especially when I couldn't remember who had and hadn't done what.  So, we recently created little flip charts for the kids.  I bought giant wooden letters at Hobby Lobby that were each of their first name initials.  Over Christmas break I spray painted each of them and then let the kids decorate their own with washable paint.  They had fun!  Then we added little plastic hooks with damage free hanging tabs (because I know in a few years they will outgrow these charts and I will want to give these letters a new purpose).  





I printed out little flip cards that had words and pictures (I currently have one reader and two non-readers) and had them laminated.  On one side we put all of their morning routines and colored those yellow for morning.  Here were our routine items: Go Potty, Get Dressed, Make-Up Your Bed, Brush Your Teeth and Brush Your Hair.  As they finish each morning routine, they flip the card over and it is ready for their nighttime routine.  They can do a quick glance at their charts and tell which yellow ones they still have left so they know what else needs to be done.

If you want to use the same flip charts as I have, here is a link to mine- feel free to edit!:
Kids Daily Routine Flip Charts

 At night we have similar routines: Brush Your Teeth, Hang Up Your Towel, Go Potty, Put Your Pajamas On and Put Your Clothes Away.  I colored those blue for night time routines.

 We hung these up outside of the bathroom on the wall that is between their bedrooms and the bathroom using damage free sticky strips.

I have to admit, I was a little worried that the kids would think it was dumb and not want to do it.  However,  since we started doing it, they have been so excited about it!  Normally when we say it is time to start getting ready for bed, I get all kinds of complaints.  The last few nights, I have heard "yeah, and we need to do our charts!"  It gives them more responsibility in the whole "getting ready" process and allows me to stop feeling like a nag. I can just stand back and watch them work and help where I need to, instead of constant reminders of all that everyone needs to be doing.  Tonight they were even racing to see who could get all of their cards flipped over first!  Music to my ears!  


No comments:

Post a Comment